AVTA’s On-Request Microtransit Ride Service is a new pilot program offering an on-request ride service along Routes 50, 51, and 52. The On-Request Microtransit Ride Service will connect passengers to and from the rural communities of Lake Los Angeles, Pearblossom, Littlerock, and Sun Village with the rest of AVTA’s local transit system.
The "eligible pick-up and return zone" consists of locations that are within one mile of bus stops along Routes 50, 51, and 52 that are located East of Ave. J and 20th East (along Route 50) and East of the Tom Lackey Transit Center (formerly the South Valley Transit Center) in Palmdale at Palmdale Blvd. and 40th East (along Route 51 and all stops along Route 52). These locations are designated as AVTA On-Request Microtransit Ride Service Connection Centers, connecting riders to the rest of the AVTA local transit system. The Scott Thomas Wilk Transit Center (formerly the Boulevard Transit Center) in Lancaster on Sierra Hwy. can also serve as a connection center for the On-Request Microtransit Ride Service.
Passengers from Lake Los Angeles, Pearblossom, Littlerock, and Sun Village requesting rides must select a destination that is:
- Within the pick-up and return zone (locations within one mile of any Route 50, 51, or 52 bus stop located East of the two Connection Centers)
- At the Connection Center in Lancaster at Ave. J and 20th East,
- At the Connection Center in the Scott Thomas Wilk Transit Center (formerly the Boulevard Transit Center) in Lancaster on Sierra Hwy.
- At the Connection Center in the Tom Lackey Transit Center (formerly the South Valley Transit Center) in Palmdale at Palmdale Blvd. and 40th East
Fares for AVTA’s On-Request Microtransit Ride Service are the same as AVTA’s local transit system.
- Full Fare One-Way Trip $1.50
- Reduced Fare One-Way Trip $0.75
- AVTA Senior Annual Pass holders and AVTA Veterans Pass holders may ride for free.
The On-Request Microtransit Ride Service uses a smartphone application (or app) called “AVTA Empowered Mobility App” that can be downloaded from Apple and Android app stores for free. Users of the AVTA Empowered Mobility App can book a ride from any eligible pickup location along routes 50, 51, & 52 during eligible hours. Eligible hours are Monday - Friday, 5 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Sunday 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
When scheduling a ride by smartphone or by phone, a passenger will select a “pickup window” that works for their schedule. Using the app allows the passenger to track their ride as it approaches, view driver and vehicle information to promote security, and view the vehicle location to estimate their ETA and make certain that their arrival time meets their needs. Using the app also allows the passenger to pay with a credit card.
Pickup times are expected to be within 20 to 30 minutes, based on service demand and vehicle availability. Pickup and destination locations must be on streets that are safe and drivable.